PULSE is Perspective. Understanding. Leadership. Sustained. Exchange.
The inaugural PULSE Institute concluded on July 25, 2014 at Bucknell University with more than 80 students, advisors, moderators, staff, speakers, and volunteers in attendance from 14 schools. Participants first experienced the PULSE Retreat curriculum firsthand and later dove into a Vision to Action Bootcamp to begin thinking about their own campus-based adaptations and implementation. During the Institute, participants explored issues of identity, inclusion, mindfulness, empathy, and authentic leadership over five days of experiential activity and immersive dialogue.
Just a few highlights from students’ self-assessment after the PULSE Institute.
- 38% of students believed they could broaden their perspectives to include others’ concerns, even when disagreement persists before PULSE. Post-PULSE 100% believed they can now practice this skill.
- 14% believed they could test inferences and assumptions in the moment to clear up potential misunderstandings. 81% post-PULSE.
- 38% believed they were aware of the intersection of their various identities before PULSE. 89% post-PULSE.
- 33% believed they had the skills to practice mindfulness in their everyday lives. 81% post-PULSE.
- 29% believed they could listen deeply enough to others to be changed by what they hear. 100% post-PULSE.
We have a lot to say about the Institute, but let’s hear about it directly from our students...
Learn more about their experiences and the importance of this work below.
- Learning to listen deeply: Students attend retreat to support inclusiveness on campus, Wake Forest University, 8/19/14
- U.Va. group learns about transformative power of dialogue, UVA Today, 8/18/14
- Doing better: Common Ground retreats teach students how to talk and listen, The News & Observer, 8/16/14
- Sharing common ground, Bucknell University, 7/24/14
Inaugural Year Schools - Read the Press Release
University||Case Western Reserve University|
University||College of William & Mary|
|Elon University||Gordon College|
|Hofstra University||Montana State University|
|Ohio University||University of Alabama|
|University of Tampa||University of Virginia|
|University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point||Wake Forest University|
A special thank you to the Roger I. & Ruth B. MacFarlane Foundation whose support and vision made this initiative possible.
Organizational & Individual Supporters and In-Kind Donors
2 Degrees Food | Bucknell University | Bull City Forward | C4Belts | Durham Church | Fetzer Institute | GreenWater Holdings | Kettering Foundation | NASPA | Redwoods Group | SoapBox Soaps | Student U | Whitman Institute | Jeffrey Blumenthal | Joost & Meagan Bosland | Jill Chen | Amanda Earp Diekman | Rachel Hutt | Ned Grossman & Shelly Lazarus | Joshua Jacobson | Lisa Lazarus | Scott Teagarden & Alejandro Lizardo | Keeva Kase & Lauren Moore | Chase Olivieri | Chris Paul | Prem Ramaswami | Benjamin Reese | Naomi Roznik | Kevin Salwen | Vernon & Claire Scoville | Barbara Veale Smith | Penelope Steiner | Liesbeth van Ooyen & Elisabeth Bosland | Joshua Weiner
Photo courtesy of Bucknell University/Gordon Wenzle